Thomas A. Counts, II focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, the defense of insurance claims, and coverage opinions. A respected litigator, Mr. Counts also practices Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Mr. Counts was formerly managing attorney of the Nationwide Trial Division of Robey, Teumer, Drash, Kimbrell & Counts in Roanoke, and was an associate attorney at C.R. Jessee & Associates. Further, Mr. Counts served as a claim litigation counselor for State Farm Insurance Company in Alexandria, Virginia.
Mr. Counts is admitted to practice law in the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia and to all Virginia courts. He earned his J.D. from the University of Richmond School of Law and his B.A. from Emory and Henry College. Mr. Counts is a member of the Roanoke Bar Association and of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, where he served on its Board of Directors.
Mr. Counts has lectured and written extensively on defense topics including soft tissue injury cases, uninsured and underinsured motorists, and direct and cross examination of medical experts. He was as a certified instructor for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy and was an adjunct professor of business law at both University of Virginia’s College at Wise and Virginia Highlands Community College.
Prior to his law career, Mr. Counts was a Lieutenant Commander in the United States Naval Reserve. He was an administrative officer and an auxiliary engineering officer while on active duty, and held multiple officer positions as a drilling reservist.
In his spare time, Mr. Counts follows collegiate sports, especially college football. He also enjoys reading both fiction and non-fiction books on history and military history.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Coverage Claims Defense
- Virginia, 1986
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. – 1985
- Emory and Henry College
- B.A. – 1977
- United States Naval Officer Candidate School – 1978
Honors and Awards
- Who’s Who in Practicing Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar
- Roanoke Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, Board of Directors
- Northern Virginia Defense Attomeys Association, Secretary
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Circuit Court Committee, Legislative
- Committee, Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Washington County Bar Association, Secretary/Treasurer
- “Application and Evolution of Virginia’s Nonsuit Statute” in The Journal of Civil Litigation, published by the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, Winter edition 2011 – 2012
- ‘Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Law in Virginia”, published by the National Business Institute, 2005
- “Winning Your Next Soft Tissue Trial,” published by the National Business Institute, 2004
- “Defending the Soft Tissue in Jury Case in Virginia”, published by the National Business Institute, 1996
- “Direct and Cross Examination of Medical Experts”, delivered to the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, 2018 and the Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, 2014-2016
Past Employment Positions
- Robey, Teumer, Drash, Kimbrell & Counts, Nationwide Trial Division, Roanoke, VA, Managing Attorney
- State Farm Claim Litigation Counsel, Alexandria, VA, Attorney
C.R. Jessee and Associates Abingdon, VA, Attorney
- Virginia Highlands Community College Professor of Business Law, Adjunct Professor
- University of Virginia’s College at Wise, Professor of Business Law, Adjunct Professor
- United States Naval Reserve, Lieutenant Commander
- Court Appointed Neutral Case Evaluator for Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Court Appointed Motions Conciliator for Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Board of Directors Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Washington County