Charles Whitehead is an experienced litigator in state, federal, and appellate courts. His background spans private law practice as well as government. Chuck served as special deputy attorney general for the North Carolina Department of Justice, as assistant attorney general for North Carolina, and was a hearing officer for the North Carolina Employment Security Commission. Further, he served as a Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Pro-Tem.
Having worked directly for two insurance companies as a trial attorney and as a consultant, Chuck brings a unique understanding to his insurance defense practice. He represents insurance carriers in a variety of property, liability, and coverage matters, including construction defects and trucking accidents.
Chuck is admitted to the North Carolina State Bar, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and all United States District Courts in North Carolina. He is a member of the Wake County Bar Association and the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys.
When not working, Chuck enjoys spending time with his wife and four boys. He is active in his church, where he has enjoyed coaching various teams for the past 12 years. He also enjoys reading, golf, and movies, and has a passion for all sports.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Defense
- General Liability
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Product Liability Defense
- Trucking and Transportation
- Federal and State Litigation
- Government Entity Defense
- North Carolina, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California
- Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.S. cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Wake County Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Presenter, “What is a deposition? How to prepare and testify”. NC Medicaid Investigations Division and NC Division of Medical Assistance Joint Training, Raleigh, 2013
Past Employment Positions
- North Carolina Department of Justice, N.C. Special Deputy Attorney General, 2012 – 2018
- N.C. Assistant Attorney General, 2010 – 2012
- North Carolina Employment Security Commission, Hearing Officer, 2009 – 2010
- First Financial Insurance Company, Consultant, 2007 – 2008
- Berman, Berman, Berman, Schneider & Lowary, LLP, Managing Attorney, 1995 – 2005
- Farmers Insurance Group, Trial Attorney, 1992 – 1995